I’ve been told I naturally see “space” and it’s harder for me to see a flat painting. And I’m working hard to understand what that even means. Alberto Giacometti was a painter, sketcher and sculptor. He was good with space. My assignment: do it like Giacometti.
It’s just about one year since I began drawing and painting with a teacher.
Some things I’ve done:
– color mixing
– color theory
– started using oil paint
– painted self portraits and portraits
– stretched and primed canvasses
– worked with six fantastic volunteer models
– finished two online classes with MoMA (one included painting)
– did five (plus) figure paintings
– put up artwork in a group show
– continued to show up and learn stuff for 12 months, whether or not I was comfortable.
– wow! what a year! thank you to everyone who says encouraging things to me! I appreciate it ❤️
Here is an early version of this piece (October 2019).
And here is the same canvas today.
learning is where it’s at. This is a detail of a larger painting I’m working on.
I guess I had one more figure to do! This is in progress – not finished yet.
I set myself a “curriculum” (sorry, former teacher) of portraits, then figures. Finished the sixth figure.
Now what? I used up what was left over on my palette for this:
It will be fun finding out what’s next.